Beef, Apple & Quinoa Balls
These Beef, Apple & Quinoa Balls are the perfect addition to any families meal time, as they are suitable for very young children and adults alike. Being high protein, low fat, low sodium, gluten/nut/diary free allows all family member to enjoy them.
Great served with steamed green vegetable and roasted pumpkin with steamed brown rice, enjoy as a snack or easy to put in the kids lunch boxes or take on picnics: the options are endless.
For these Beef, Apple & Quinoa balls our family enjoys them with beef mince and paprika/cumin but you can easily adapt to suit your families tastes. Beef mince can be changed for lamb, chicken, pork or turkey. Choosing spices and herbs that complement your choice of meat will ensure this dish will be asked for again and again.
Dipping the balls into a tomato relish/chutney will keep the smallest family members fingers busy while the older children and adults might enjoy a spicy sweet chilli sauce.
Our top tip for this recipe is to make a big batch and freeze (once cooked) into meal size portions. Simply reheat in the oven before serving.
500 g lean ground beef (low fat option if available)
500 g cooked and cooled quinoa
1 large apple grated (we keep the skin on and use a red apple)
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 handful coriander/cilantro roughly chopped
1 pinch black pepper
1 large egg beaten
1. Preheat oven to 180c/350f.
2. Add to a large bowl the beef, apple (grated), paprika, cumin, tomato paste,freshly chopped coriander and black pepper.
3. Add the cooled (previously cooked) quinoa to the meat mixture along with the beaten egg and mix until well combined.
4. Form into equal size balls and place on a greased baking tray.
5. Bake in the oven until golden all over and cooked through, turn them at the half way point to ensure they are cooked through evenly. Total cooking time approx 30 mins.
For all the latest in health and fitness subscribe to the Active Nation News: health delivered to your inbox! Click here to join.